Upon a comprehensive analysis of the best clamp meters on the market that we selected, Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter emerged the clear winner.
Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter – Top Choice for DIY Enthusiasts
Etekcity is a very prominent name in the world of electric products and equipment. This particular version which is used by many professionals and amateurs as well comes with a lot of features which makes it pretty valuable.
For instance, it comes with a very clear LCD screen as well as a battery shut down feature which serves to help prevent excess waste of battery power. Continuity and diode tests conduction are some other features of this clamp meter.
- Auto shut down mode that gets to work after 15 minutes of being active.
- It is an auto ranging clamp and measures AC/DC voltage very accurately.
- Comes with a data hold feature for record-keeping purposes.
- Jaw opening measures conductor AC current to a maximum of 26 mm.
Every professional workman usually has a set of work equipment that he carries along on repair rounds. From the measuring tools required by any professional involved in electrical work, the clamp meter is one of the most essential.
Simply put, the clamp meter is an electric meter type that allows you to measure current, usually alternating current and sometimes direct current without having to discover the system/unit or making any form of contact with the conductor (commonly a wire or cable).
Top 5 Clamp Meters Comparison
|Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Fluke 323 Clamp Meter||Check Price|
Auto Power Off
|UEi Test Instruments DL369||Check Price|
|Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Klein Tools CL900||Check Price|
Best Clamp Meters Detailed Reviews
Knowing just how difficult it can be to find the best clamp meters on the market, we took it upon ourselves to determine the best and show you the breakdown of their features. This section basically consists of everything that you need to know about the best clamp meter and this would make your selection process even easier. So, without further ado, let’s begin this ride:
1. Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter – Top Choice for DIY Enthusiasts
Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter comes at a very friendly price and is very functional in terms of possessing the right features. It has an auto ranging feature that serves to eliminate any measurement doubts and can measure up to 400 amps.
It is made from high-end materials of very high quality and comes with an easy to read LED screen as well. Data holding features and an alkaline battery that boasts of lasting up to 150 hours serve as the icing on the cake.
- Auto shut down mode that gets to work after 15 minutes of being active
- It is an auto ranging clamp and measures AC/DC voltage very accurately
- Comes with a data hold feature for record-keeping purposes
- Alkaline battery with a battery life of up to 150 hours
- Very high level of accuracy that guarantees precise measurements
- It is accompanied by a pouch that allows for easy conveyance
- Comes with an auto sleep mode that helps to save energy
- Its large LCD screen guarantees taking readings very easily
- This clamp meter does not Direct Current readings
- Made from fragile materials which break up easily especially the plastic
- May not be suited for highly professional electrical installation jobs
Etekcity Auto Ranging Clamp Meter is designed to be used for mainly basic purposes which implies that it would be great for your small-scale electrical installations. However, it may not be very suitable for use in high-level electrical installations.
It has a pretty great level of accuracy and comes with a number of other great features as well. In summary, this would be a great purchase choice.
2. Fluke 323 Clamp Meter – Best Choice for Home Use
Fluke 323 clamp meter can be said to be one of the best things that ever happened in the world of clamp meters. This digital clamp meter delivers results/readings with very high accuracy and measures AC, AC and DC voltages as well as resistance.
The jaw opens wide enough to accommodate a conductor of up to 30 mm without coming in direct contact or interfering with it. It is mainly used by homeowners for simple home uses.
- Measures AC and DC voltage up to a maximum of 600 volts, and AC current up to 400 amperes
- The jaw opening of this clamp meter accurately measures conductor electricity up to 30 mm
- It is capable of measuring resistance up to a maximum of 4 kiloohms
- It measures AC currents as high as 600 amps
- This clamp meter has very high accuracy levels
- Slim and elegant design which makes it look stylish
- It comes with an audible beeper for detection of continuity
- It measures very high levels of AC and DC voltages as well as Resistance
- This clamp meter does not measure Direct Current
- Lead ports can be found at the bottom making it pretty inconvenient to use
- It may not be very useful for professionals
This clamp meter is mot very useful for professionals due to the fact that it lacks the ability to measure DC currents. However, it is very accurate and useful in measuring AC current making it great for homeowners and DIY enthusiasts alike. If you are looking for a great clamp meter to use at home, this might be it.
3. UEi Test Instruments DL369 – Top Choice for Durability
Any electrician’s top 5 clamp meters would definitely include this clamp meter. UEi Test Instruments DL369 comes along as the perfect fit for measuring with high accuracy levels and still pulls off a stylish design.
In addition, its manufacturers certainly didn’t compromise on durability given that it is made from high-quality materials. In terms of performance, this clamp meter is definitely aces and is pretty consistent at accurate measurements as well.
- Dual display design that makes reading values a lot easier
- Very high versatility as it measures resistance, frequencies, capacitance, AC/DC voltage, and amps
- This clamp meter comes with test leads so you can check electrical readings immediately after taking them
- Min/max feature that allows you to do a thorough evaluation of a circuit without experiencing any issues whatsoever
- Measurements are very easy to read
- Made with high-quality materials making it very durable
- Very high accuracy levels that guarantee precise measurements
- Non-contact voltage
- Pretty slow capacitance readings
- It does not measure in watts
- Not very suitable for use by homeowners and DIY enthusiasts
UEi Test Instruments DL369 is one of the best clamp meters on the market in terms of those suitablforto professional use. As a result of this, it comes with great features and a great design as well. Similarly, it can be touched for by a number of top electricians making it one of the best there is to select from.
4. Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter – Budget Pick
Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter is mainly suited to home applications and is pretty simple and very easy to operate. It measures Alternative Current and voltage as well as DC voltage.
It also measures continuity and resistance and comes with auto-ranging and the data hold features. The carrying case that it comes with makes it easy to transport as well.
- It has automatic ranging and measures both AC and DC voltage
- Jaw opening allows conductor of up to a diameter of 26mm
- Comes with data hold feature and automatic ranging as well
- Measures AC up to 600A
- Data hold feature makes it easy to make reference to past measurements
- Comes with very high accuracy levels
- Portable size making it easy to carry around
- Thanks to the carrying case, it can be transported very easily
- Cannot be used for DC measurement
- Lacks backlight which implies that it cannot be used in poorly lit areas
- It cannot take readings from coupled conductors
Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter comes at a pretty great price and has a compact design as well as a portable packaging. It is best suited for measurements that are not very demanding due to the fact that it does not exactly possess the features that are found in professional-level clamp meters. It is typically suited to home uses.
5. Klein Tools CL900 – Best Choice for High-level Professionals
Kelin tools is a well-known name in electrical tools manufacturing circles and are prominent for manufacturing high quality, top-notch professional-grade tools that boast of precision, performance, and durability.
CL900 is an auto-ranging, true root mean square (TRMS) digital clamp meter and measures AC/DC current via the clamp and measures AC/DC voltage, resistance, continuity, frequency, duty-cycle, capacitance, and tests diodes via test-leads.
- Comes with Automatically ranging True Root Mean Squared (TRMS) measurement technology for accuracy
- Has low impedance (LoZ) mode for identifying and eliminating stray or ghost voltages
- Backlit display for clear visibility in environments with low ambient lighting
- This digital clamp meter measures up to 2000A AC/DC, 1000V AC/DC, 60MΩ
- Measures both AC and DC voltage
- Identifies and eliminates stray voltages
- It has automatic ranging and true RMS sensors
- Very high accuracy levels
- Some buyers have complained that they got a malfunctioning upon arrival
- Some users also complain about the prongs falling out
- Variation in readings has also been complained about
Klein Tools CL900 clamp meter is a clear high-level performer and comes with great features that are very useful for professional-grade work. It comes with a very high accuracy level and additional features such as elimination of stray voltages only serve to make this digital clamp meter all the better. For professional use, this is definitely a great choice.
How to Choose the Best Clamp Meters – Buyer’s Guide
Although there are great clamp meters on the market, identifying them could pose quite a challenge especially if your experience level is next to nothing. Also, there is a myriad of products on the market, therefore, selecting the best could pose quite a challenge as well.
Knowing just how important it is to get only the best, it is only expedient that you spend a bit more time making a decision.
This is because this decision would go on to determine whether you have a great experience or otherwise. In order to select perfectly, there are a number of factors which you would have to consider. These factors are essential to this selection process and they include the following:
In most cases, the price usually comes first stemming from the fact that you would need to at least have some money in order to make any form of purchase. It is also possible that you might have a budget of sorts to help keep you in check or a spending limit.
This is one of the major factors that you need to take into consideration when making that purchase. Typically, clamp meters usually have some features in common, however, these features vary depending on the make and version that you are purchasing.
Clamp meters with better features usually have a relatively high price tag attached to them. Therefore, the amount of money you have to spend usually depends on the features that a clamp meter possesses.
Purpose of Purchase
Once you have decided that you need a clamp meter, you need to bear in mind exactly what you need it for. There are clamp meters suitable only for particular tasks. But there are others that work for all tasks.
However, purchasing one that is specifically designed to be used for the particular function that you have in mind is essential. For instance, a professional technician who deals with DC would definitely not go for a clamp meter that only measures AC.
In the same vein, if all you need a clamp meter for is the measurement of AC, then, you can literally go for anyone available on the market.
Features go a long way in determining whether or not you purchase any tool, equipment or device. The features simply refer to the embedded characteristics that make a decision to perform a particular task.
For instance, in the case of clamp meters, a clamp meter that measures only AC is not in any way useful for a professional who deals with electronic circuits.
Similarly, features such as screen backlight, auto shut down, and data hold feature among others serve to make a clamp a lot easier to use and subsequently provides great value for the money that you spent on it.
This easily comes to the fore in terms of essential factors that you need to keep in mind. The essence of any measurement is to get an accurate value, therefore, a clamp meter that doesn’t give you this defeats its entire purpose irrespective of features that it might have.
It is essential that your meter gives a true RMS reading upon testing, this is, in fact, one of the first things that you should test for. Manufacturers usually detail the accuracy range of their clamp meters, therefore, you would need to go for one that has a very narrow margin of error.
Also, upon getting an accurate clamp meter, you might need to recalibrate after a while to make sure that it remains accurate.
More often than not, it is the materials that are used to make your clamp meter that goes on to determine just how durable it would turn out to be. Durability is an essential feature that a clamp meter should possess simply because you really have no idea when it could slip out of your hand.
It would, therefore, be heartbreaking for a clamp meter to fall to the ground and shatter or stop functioning. Especially when you just bought it. This is why you need to look beyond the features to ensure that the clamp meter that you are buying is highly durable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Clamp Meter?
A clamp meter is an electric meter type that allows you to measure current, usually alternating current and sometimes direct current without having to discover the system/unit or making any form of contact with the conductor (commonly a wire or cable).
What are the Benefits of Using a Clamp Meter?
Among other benefits, clamp meters come with flexible probes that can be used to navigate tightly set wires. Also, they help to save a lot of stress in terms of measuring and determining AC and DC voltages as well as other electrical parameters.
Can You Make Use a Clamp Meter to Get AC/DC Voltage or Do You Specifically Need the Test Leads?
The test leads are specifically designed to be used for getting your resistance and voltage and they should, therefore, be used for that purpose.
Criteria We Used for Clamp Meters Review
The following are the criteria that we used in determining the best clamp meters on the market:
Your budget goes a long way in determining the type of clamp meter that you end up with. That’s why it was basically the first criteria that we considered. Knowing that different people would definitely have different budgets, it was essential to include clamp meters that would easily fit into a wide range of budgets irrespective of limits.
In addition, we selected those whose price tags matched the quota of value that they had to offer to guarantee that you get maximum value for the money you would be spending.
This simply implies that we studied the features of each clamp meter and then decided whether or not it was actually worth the price tag attached. After doing this, we also made sure that there was at least one clamp meter that would fit into every single budget.
2. Reviews and Ratings
Reviews are simply the feedback that people give after making use of a particular product or service. This is why it is highly essential that reviews be taken very seriously. Reviews help to reveal flaws that the manufacturer would definitely not included in the product description.
This was why we made sure that we can out the major reviews that accompanied each clamp meter. And noted the number of people who complained about the same issue or claimed to experience the same problem.
After doing this, we had to drop a number of clamp meters off our list since they were clearly not living up to the alleged reputation.
Although these tools/equipment my pretty delicate and it is within the best interest of everyone that they do not drop, there is still a possibility that it might slip out of your hand sometime and take a pretty hard fall.
This is why clamp meters have to be made from very durable materials in order to guarantee that they would last long. Also, they should be made from materials that do not make them very dense.
This way, they would be easy to convey around without cases in the event that they actually have cases. When considering durability, you should also make sure that you check to see if it comes with a warranty.
Clamp meters that come with long warranties tend to have a higher likelihood of probability.
4. Ease of Use
Regardless of how any features a piece of equipment might possess, if it isn’t easy to use or operate, buyers would have a very hard time getting value for their money.
While selecting clamp meters based on the factors mentioned above, we also ensured that these clamp meters, despite the many amazing features that they might possibly be very easy to use.
This was done by looking out for features such as automatic shut down mode, backlit displays, automatic ranging feature, as well as high accuracy levels. All these features make decibel meters very easy to operate and guarantee great user experience.
Also, improved ease of use easily implies a higher level of accuracy in terms of readings gotten since the user would be highly proficient.
This may be a late criterion that we used but it is certainly not the least. Features just about make up the very essence of your clamp meter. Features usually vary based on the type of clamp meter purchased and the grade, so to speak.
While clamp meters may possess the same features, it may be more advanced or developed in others. This is why knowing the purpose for which you need your clamp meter is essential.
While some tasks request certain specifications will regard to clamp meter features, others merely require possession of the most basic features that all clamp meters possess.
Clamp meters make up one of the must-have tools for any technician who deals with electrical installations/boards. This is why the selection process has to be very comprehensive. We know just how difficult it can be to select the best which is why we took our time to come up with this review and buyer’s guide. Following this guide, one certain guarantee is that you would definitely be getting the best on the market.